Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Associate Professor in Contemporary European History
My research is focused on modern European history with an emphasis on the European integration process in Europe after World War II and Norway’s relations with the EU. Previous projects includes studies of the economic and political integration of Europe from intergovernmental and supranational perspectives while more recent and ongoing projects concentrate thematically on the ideational aspects of integration and geographically on Norway’s role in the process of European integration.
- The history of the European integration process
- Norway's relations with the EU
- Contemporary European history with an emphasis on French history
- EUR 3409 Norge og EU etter 1994 (MA-level, 7.5 ECTS)
- EUR 2910 Den europeiske integrasjonsprosessen (BA-level, 15 ECTS)
- HIST 1250 Moderne historie etter 1850 (BA-level, 15 ECTS, co-taught)
- Distant voices. Ideas from the periphery on national and EU democracy. The project studies the impact of the European crisis on ideas of national and EU democracy in six European countries: Iceland, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Turkey and Norway. The project involves nine researchers from six countries, currently in the process of finalising an edited volume that will be submitted for peer review in June 2013. The project has received funding from the Norwegian Research Council and the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The making of the European Economic Area: EFTA-EC relations from 1973 to 1994. Based on primary sources from the EFTA and EC archives, this project analyses the development in EFTA-EC relations as they developed from the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 European Economic Area. The project is funded by the NTNU.
- Coordinator of the NTNU MA in European Studies (2009-2013)
- Head of Program Council, European Studies, NTNU (2009-2011)
- Elected board member, Department of History and Classical Studies, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Member of the EEA Review Committee (2010-2012)
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2006) Walter Hallstein and the promotion of European union. Historische Mitteilungen der Ranke-Gesellschaft.
- (2002) In Quest of Time, Protection and Approval: France and the Claims for Social Harmonization in the European Economic Community, 1955-56. Journal of European Integration History. volum 8 (1).
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-321-0354-6.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2013) Crisis and convergence: Norwegian parliamentary debate on the EU. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis: Introduction. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2012) Historisk utvikling av Norges avtaler med EU. Utenfor og innenfor. Norges avtaler med EU. Utredning fra utvalg oppnevnt av Utenriksdepartementet 7. januar 2010 (Europautredningen). Avgitt til Utenriksdepartementet 17. januar 2012.
- (2011) In Search of Influence. Norway's 1994 Referendum on EU Membership. Ideas of Europe in National Political Discourse.
- (2010) Norway's 1994 Quest for EU Membership. Ideas of National Culture and Europe in Norwegian Political Discourse. National Cultures and Common Identity. A Challenge for Europe?.
- (2008) The Origins of Community information policy: Educating Europeans. The History of the European Union. Origins of a trans- and supranational polity 1950-72..
- (2006) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. Quelle(s) Europe(s)? Nouvelle approches en histoire de l'intégration européenne Which Europe(s)? New Approaches in European Integration History.
- (2004) Norwegian Attitudes to Membership in the European Union. Public Opinion and Europe. National Identities and the European Integration Process.
- (2004) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. 2004. ISBN 82-7765-051-5.
- (1997) Danish policy towards Western Europe 1957-1963. 1997. Working Paper (16).