Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Associate Professor in Contemporary European History
My research focuses on contemporary European history with an emphasis on integration in Europe after World War II and Norway’s relations with the EU. In my doctoral thesis (2004), I investigated the French demands for social harmonization in the EEC in the period of 1955-66. A summary of the findings of this work was published internationally in 2005. Other previous projects include studies of the economic and political integration of Europe from intergovernmental (2004; 1997) and supranational perspectives (2008; 2005). In more recent projects I have investigated ideational aspects of integration (2013; 2011) and Norway’s association with the EU through the EEA-Agreement (2012). In my current research I investigate the relationship between EFTA and the EC as it developed from the entry of the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 setting up of the European Economic Area.
- EFTA-EC relations
- The history of European integration
- Norway's relations with the EU
- Contemporary European history with an emphasis on French history
- EUR 3409 Norge og EU etter 1994 (MA-level, 7.5 ECTS)
- EUR 2910 Den europeiske integrasjonsprosessen (BA-level, 15 ECTS)
- HIST 1250 Moderne historie etter 1850 (BA-level, 15 ECTS, co-taught)
- The making of the European Economic Area: EFTA-EC relations from 1973 to 1994. Based on primary sources from the EFTA and EC archives, this project analyses the development in EFTA-EC relations as they developed from the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 European Economic Area. The project is funded by the NTNU.
- Distant voices. Ideas of democracy and the Eurozone crisis. This joint research effort, bringing together nine researchers from six countries, investigates the impact of the European crisis on ideas of national and EU democracy in six European countries: Iceland, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Turkey and Norway. The results were published by Akademika publishing in an edited volume in 2013: https://www.bestselgerklubben.no/_faglitteratur/samfunnskunnskap/distant-voices-9788232103546.
- Head of the NTNU MA programme in European Studies (2009-2013, 2014-2015)
- Head of study programme council, European Studies, NTNU (2009-2011)
- Elected board member, Department of History and Classical Studies, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Member of the EEA Review Committee (2010-2012). The EEA Review Committee was a broad-based independent committee of twelve researchers appointed by the Norwegian Government in 2010 to undertake a thorough, research-based review of the EEA Agreement. The committee submitted its report in 2010.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2015) EFTA's quest for free trade in Western Europe (1960-92): Slow train coming. EFTA Bulletin.
- (2006) Walter Hallstein and the promotion of European union. Historische Mitteilungen der Ranke-Gesellschaft.
- (2002) In Quest of Time, Protection and Approval: France and the Claims for Social Harmonization in the European Economic Community, 1955-56. Journal of European Integration History. vol. 8 (1).
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-321-0354-6.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2013) Crisis and convergence: Norwegian parliamentary debate on the EU. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis: Introduction. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2012) Historisk utvikling av Norges avtaler med EU. Utenfor og innenfor. Norges avtaler med EU. Utredning fra utvalg oppnevnt av Utenriksdepartementet 7. januar 2010 (Europautredningen). Avgitt til Utenriksdepartementet 17. januar 2012.
- (2011) In Search of Influence. Norway's 1994 Referendum on EU Membership. Ideas of Europe in National Political Discourse.
- (2010) Norway's 1994 Quest for EU Membership. Ideas of National Culture and Europe in Norwegian Political Discourse. National Cultures and Common Identity. A Challenge for Europe?.
- (2008) The Origins of Community information policy: Educating Europeans. The History of the European Union. Origins of a trans- and supranational polity 1950-72.
- (2006) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. Quelle(s) Europe(s)? Nouvelle approches en histoire de l'intégration européenne Which Europe(s)? New Approaches in European Integration History.
- (2004) Norwegian Attitudes to Membership in the European Union. Public Opinion and Europe. National Identities and the European Integration Process.
- (2004) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. 2004. ISBN 82-7765-051-5.
- (1997) Danish policy towards Western Europe 1957-1963. 1997. Working Paper (16).