Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Associate professor in contemporary European history
My research focuses on contemporary European history with an emphasis on integration in Europe after World War II and Norway’s relations with the EU. In my doctoral thesis (2004), I investigated the French demands for social harmonization in the EEC in the period of 1955-66. A summary of the findings of this work was published in 2006. Other previous projects include studies of the economic and political integration of Europe from intergovernmental (2004; 1997) and supranational perspectives (2008; 2005). In more recent projects I have investigated ideational aspects of integration (2013; 2011) and Norway’s association with the EU through the EEA-Agreement (2012). In my current research I investigate the relationship between EFTA and the EC as it developed from the entry of the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 setting up of the European Economic Area (2015).
- EFTA-EC relations
- The history of European integration
- Norway's relations with the EU
- Contemporary European history with an emphasis on French history
- EUR 3409 Norge og EU etter 1994 (MA-level, 7.5 ECTS)
- EUR 2910 Den europeiske integrasjonsprosessen (BA-level, 15 ECTS)
- HIST 1250 Moderne historie etter 1850 (BA-level, 15 ECTS, co-taught)
The making of the European Economic Area: EFTA-EC relations from 1973 to 1994. Based on primary sources from the EFTA and EC archives, this project analyses the development in EFTA-EC relations as they developed from the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 European Economic Area. http://www.efta.int/sites/default/files/publications/bulletins/efta-bulletin-2015.pdf
Distant voices. Ideas of democracy and the Eurozone crisis. This joint research effort, bringing together nine researchers from six countries, investigated the impact of the European crisis on ideas of national and EU democracy in six European countries: Iceland, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Turkey and Norway. The results were published by Akademika publishing in an edited volume in 2013: https://www.bestselgerklubben.no/_faglitteratur/samfunnskunnskap/distant-voices-9788232103546.
- Head of the NTNU MA programme in European Studies (2009-2013, 2014-2015)
- Head of study programme council, European Studies, NTNU (2009-2011)
- Elected board member, Department of History and Classical Studies, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Member of the EEA Review Committee (2010-2012). The EEA Review Committee was a broad-based independent committee of twelve researchers appointed by the Norwegian Government in 2010 to undertake a thorough, research-based review of the EEA Agreement. The committee submitted its report in 2012: https://www.regjeringen.no/contentassets/5d3982d042a2472eb1b20639cd8b2341/no/pdfs/nou201220120002000dddpdfs.pdf
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2015) EFTA's quest for free trade in Western Europe (1960-92): Slow train coming. EFTA Bulletin.
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-321-0354-6.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2015) Sakskoblinger i EØS-forhandlingene (1990-91). Interessekonflikter i norsk handelspolitikk.
- (2012) Historisk utvikling av Norges avtaler med EU. Utenfor og innenfor. Norges avtaler med EU. Utredning fra utvalg oppnevnt av Utenriksdepartementet 7. januar 2010 (Europautredningen). Avgitt til Utenriksdepartementet 17. januar 2012.