PostadresseInstitutt for språk og litteratur Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet 7491 Trondheim Norge
- Moderne historie (etter 1800)
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I completed my PhD in the Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge in 2010 before accepting the position of Associate Professor at NTNU in 2011. I will be a Churchill Archives Centre By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge in 2014.
Current Research Interests
My current research focuses on the history of the interwar period. I am mainly interested in British Conservative politics, political writing in the periodical press, and European fascism.
My latest article, 'The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain', is to be published in The Historical Journal.
I am now writing a book about the intellectual culture of British Conservatism, 1922-51, and working on two new articles on Conservative and fascist intellectuals.
I have recently set up a new research group at NTNU on 'Interwar Europe', which will explore some of my research interests in collaboration with scholars working at NTNU and in other European countries.
Master's/ PhD Thesis Supervision
I am happy to discuss proposals for Master's & PhD supervision in most areas of twentieth century British history. I am also very interested in comparative studies of Britain and other European countries, especially Norway. If students have other foreign languages I would encourage them to use these skills in their research.
I offer the following undergraduate courses at NTNU. Both courses inlcude a mix of traditional lectures and research-led teaching in the form of document-based seminars:
ENG2452 Britain in Europe
ENG1402 Modern British History and Culture
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. volum 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of contemporary history. volum 42 (3).
Del av bok/rapport
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.