Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Before joining NTNU as an Associate Professor in British Studies I taught history at Cardiff University. I completed my PhD at the University of Cambridge in 2010. I was also a Churchill Archives Centre By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge in 2014.
I am a historian of modern Britain. I am particularly interested in the history of British politics, intellectual cultures, and media history during the twentieth century. My current research focuses on the history of British Conservative politics and political writing. I have also done some work on British and European fascism. I am now writing a book about the intellectual culture of British Conservatism, 1918-55. In addition, I am working on two new articles that explore different aspects of Conservative and fascist politics in interwar Britain, and, another article on right-wing women.
I offer the following undergraduate courses at NTNU. Both courses inlcude a mix of traditional lectures and research-led teaching in the form of document-based seminars:
ENG2452 Britain in Europe
ENG1402 Modern British History and Culture
I am happy to discuss proposals for Master's & PhD supervision in most areas of twentieth century British history. I am also very interested in comparative studies of Britain and other European countries, especially Norway. If students have other foreign languages I would encourage them to use these skills in their research.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2014) The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain. The Historical Journal. vol. 57 (04).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. vol. 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 42 (3).
Del av bok/rapport
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.