Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am a historian of modern Britain. I completed my PhD in the Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge in 2010 before accepting the position of Associate Professor at NTNU in 2011. I was a Churchill Archives Centre By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge in 2014.
My current research focuses on the history of the interwar period. I am mainly interested in British Conservative politics, political writing in the periodical press, and European fascism. I am now writing a book about the intellectual culture of British Conservatism, 1922-51, and working on two new articles on Conservative and fascist intellectuals. I have recently set up a new research group at NTNU on 'Interwar Europe', which will explore some of my research interests in collaboration with scholars working at NTNU and in other European countries.
I am happy to discuss proposals for Master's & PhD supervision in most areas of twentieth century British history. I am also very interested in comparative studies of Britain and other European countries, especially Norway. If students have other foreign languages I would encourage them to use these skills in their research.
I offer the following undergraduate courses at NTNU. Both courses inlcude a mix of traditional lectures and research-led teaching in the form of document-based seminars:
ENG2452 Britain in Europe
ENG1402 Modern British History and Culture
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2014) 'Portrait of a Party: The Conservative Party in Britain 1918–1945. By Stuart Ball.'. Twentieth Century British History.
- (2014) 'The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain'. The Historical Journal. volum 57 (04).
- (2011) 'Oswald Mosley and the New Party. By Matthew Worley.'. Twentieth Century British History. volum 22 (2).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. volum 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of contemporary history. volum 42 (3).
Del av bok/rapport
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.